81 Thunder Run & Chili Cook Off Competition
Rules & Regulations
1. This Competition allows for entry of Red Chili and/or Green Chili (Chili Verde). Any kind of meat maybe used or combinations of meats (such as beef, chicken, pork, venison, lamb, etc…). All meats will be cooked with red and/or green chili peppers, various spices and other ingredients with the exception of BEANS and PASTA which are strictly forbidden. Any entries containing beans or pasts will be disqualified. NO FILLERS BEANS, CORN, PASTA, Etc…
Note: A people’s choice taste kit will be available for purchase at the run site for $3 it will include a spoon, napkin, 5 sample cups 5 taste tickets and a scoring card to vote for the best chili people’s choice award.
2. No ingredient may be pre-cooked in any way prior to the commencement of the official cook-off. The only exceptions are canned or bottled tomatoes, tomato sauce, peppers, pepper sauce, beverages, broth and grinding and/or mixing of spices. Meat may be pre-cut or ground. MEAT MAY NOT BE PRE-COOKED, PRE-SMOKED, PRE-TREATED, PRE-RUBBED or PRE-MARINATED in any way until competition starts. All other ingredients must be chopped or prepared during the preparation period.
Note: There will be a meat inspection 1 hour prior to the start of the cook off. All meats must be stored at below 40 degrees until cooking time. A cooler with ice is fine.
3. You must be at least 21 years old to compete or be a part of a team. No more than 3 cooks per team.
Note: You can have as many helpers as you need but you are only getting 3 wristbands at the gate per spot.
4. A representative from your team must be present at the contestant’s meeting, at which time final instructions will be given and questions answered.
Note: The meeting will be no later than 1 hour prior to the official starting time of the cook off.
5. The cooking period: Fires can be started by 9am and chili turn in is at 2pm. A window of 10 minutes is allowed for turn in from 1:55pm to 2:05pm. Cooking during entire cooking period is at the sole discretion of the contestant. (Entries will not be accepted earlier)
6. Food handler’s gloves must be worn by team food handlers.
7. Contestants are responsible for supplying all of their own cooking utensils and cooking equipment, etc. NO electrical cookers such as crock pots. Everything is to be cooked over flame - charcoal, wood or propane. The sponsors of the cook off will provide a 10x10 area for each contestant. There will be a common water hook up so bring your own water carrier. There will be limited electrical outlets that will be shared by spots. Bring 50 feet of electrical cord and splitter if you need electric.
Note: You supply your own tables, chairs, pop up tent, bring your own comforts.
8. Each contestant must cook approximately two gallon of competition chili prepared in one pot and 32 oz will be submitted for judging and the rest will be for those with tickets to vote for the people’s choice award. Please make sure that you fill the 32 oz. container.
9. Each contestant will be assigned a contestant’s number by the Chief Scorekeeper at the morning meeting and be given an official 32 oz judging cup. Each contestant should verify that the number on their cup is the same as their assigned contestant number. Each contestant is responsible to deliver their cup, which must be filled to the bottom of the cup’s rim, to the judging area at the official time for judging. Any containers not filled will be disqualified.
Note: The judging is anonymous so your cup should in no way be altered or marked as to be different from the others. If found to be altered your chili will be disqualified from judging.
10. Judges will be told they should vote for the chili they like best based on the following major considerations: good flavor, texture of the meat, consistency, blend of spices, aroma and color.
11. In the event of a first place tie, 3 judges will resample and judge the chili for a second time. The decisions of the Chief Judge shall be final.
The 81 Thunder Run & Chili Cook Off
1. If you are interested in competing in the Chili Cook Off fill out an application and send in your entry fee. Entry fee is $50 per team. Which gives you a 10x10 space and 3 admission bands. BE SURE TO READ THE COOK OFF RULES BEFORE YOU SEND IN YOUR APPLICATION!!!
2. We have enough space to accommodate 30 teams in a 10x10 space. Spots will be assigned first come first serve.
3. You will be able to access the grounds the night before from 5pm until 9pm to set up there will be security over night so your equipment will be fine. You can also set up the morning of the cook off from 6am to 8am. Spots will be assigned first come first serve.
4. We provide you with a 10x10 spot and a central water hook up (electricity hook ups are limited). You are responsible for everything else cooking equipment, fuel, food, tables, chairs, creature comforts, etc...
5. This competition is opened to individuals, teams and MC Clubs. There will be prizes and trophies given to First Place Anonymous Judged Chili and First Place People’s Choice. Medals/Ribbons and prizes will be given 2nd and 3rd place. Medals/Ribbons will be given to 4th and 5th place in both categories.
6. There will also be a trophy which is a Motorcycle Gas Tank that has been painted by John Cassatto Artworks for the Motorcycle Club who finishes best amongst the Motorcycle Clubs in the anonymous judging category. This trophy will have their club name put on it and stay in their clubhouse for the year. The following year the trophy comes back to the chili cook-off to be defended. (Sort of like the Stanley Cup of the Chili Cook-offs)
7. A sanitary station will be set up for all teams to wash, rinse and sanitize equipment. You can set up your own station in your camp for team convenience.
8. Food handler’s gloves must be worn by team food handlers.
9. Each camp should have a fire extinguisher available.
Chili Cook Off Schedule
8:00am - Cooks Meeting
8:00am - Meat Inspection
9:00am - Fires Start
1:30pm - Judges Meeting
2:00pm - Chili Turn In
3:00pm - Peoples Choice Ballots Turn In
4:30pm - Awards